Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lacing up the running shoes....

So, my promise to post tomorrow in my last entry never happened obviously.

However, here I am.

Annnnd the topic of the day will be.... exercise!

I fell out of the habit of exercising once I started my current job back in May since things were so crazy that I was "too tired" to work out when I returned home. As my husband can tell you, I can think of a legitimate excuse to weasel my way out of just about anything if I really want to. So that's why I am posting this... so those of you who know me who are WOMEN can check in with me and hold me accountable to the new exercise routine I started last week.

I must be crazy. I joined a running club last year and went to a couple of the meetings but wasn't very good at it... I think because most of the members were seasoned runners and I was not. I was left far behind in the dust of their dust. Yeah. Ethan also runs, and this girl has no chance of keeping up with him. So, after doing some research and talking to runners I know, I determined that Couch to 5 K would be the best way for me to start. It's a twelve week program and it builds you up to being able to run continuously for the entire 3.14 miles. There are two things I like about C25K: it only requires three sessions per week for about 30 minutes each, and my phone has an application on it that times everything for me so all I have to do is watch the screen and run when it says to run.

I completed the first week last week. F has swim lessons that last 30 minutes on Mondays and Wednesdays at the YMCA. We just joined the YMCA, and my employers put me on their membership so I now have a free YMCA pass! Works for me. Anyway, parents/caregivers are not allowed in the pool area during the swim session, so it works out perfectly. The third session I do sometime on Saturday since I always have at least thirty minutes I can devote to it on that day. This past week was 60 seconds of running alternating with 90 seconds of walking. It was tough, and it still is tough but I stuck it out for the entire workout all three times this week. I'm nervous about Monday because it is now going up to 90 seconds of running alternating with three minutes of walking. I feel like I can barely hold out 60 seconds running.... I'm just going to do my best. So anyway, if you happen to talk to me on a Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday.... ask me if I did my C25K session. (F's lessons are at 4:35 PM, so don't ask me if I've done it until after 5 PM on those days!) My husband (wisely) stays out of the holding me accountable for exercise business. He learned that even if I tell him I want him to, I really don't. Smart guy. Men should not meddle in the business of diets, exercise, or style. It's just not a good thing for the most part.

Tomorrow is Monday.... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

1 comment:

  1. I will start my running tomorrow!!! We can keep the same schedule. Mon, Wed, Saturday (or maybe Friday if nothing to do) works for me! We can keep each other motivated:)

    ReplyDelete