Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Busy week...

This week has been a busy one, and it didn't start off so well. On Sunday, I received an email from our part-time nanny/personal assistant that I hired two weeks ago who was supposed to start Monday informing me that she was no longer able to accept the position. I had been looking forward to having more relief at work and more downtime, so to hear this was somewhat disheartening. She had good reasons though (health and personal) and the circumstances were completely beyond her control, so I wasn't terribly upset. I just sighed and went back to the drawing board... so this week has been full of interviews and constant email exchanges between candidates. I met someone last night who came to visit the house this morning, and I think she may be the one... ::fingers crossed::. She meets with my boss tomorrow morning and we'll go from there.

So, why do we need a part-time nanny/personal assistant when I'm there full-time? Because I currently work on average 80-100 hours per week. Don't worry, I'm not being taken advantage of - I am compensated quite well for my time. I realize that moms work 168 hours per week, 52 weeks per year. However, I am not yet a mom and I have my own house and husband, so it has been a grueling schedule for the past month or so. I may be "supernanny" but I am not Super Woman. I can't do it all and be everything to everyone. There's only so much of me to go around! With Baby S's interrupted SIDS incident last month and subsequent therapies, etc. it has become much harder to give all three children what they need. So the solution was to hire another person to come into work at 1 PM so that I could leave at 5:30, cutting my hours down to oh...about 55-60 per week. It's still a significant number of hours, but compared to what I have been working, it's a huge change. So, prayers that we would have a person in place by April would be wonderful...because I know I desperately need to work less! I can hang in there for a few more weeks....

Today I spent the day going through the kids' clothes and putting the too-small clothes in storage boxes for the attic while the two younger ones napped and my oldest was in school. The playroom is my next big project - it's not really yet a playroom so I need to convert it into one. I also need to start a filing system for the kids with each of their medical records, activity/school information, etc. I also determined the summer camp schedule for my four year old, filled out all the forms, and planned the entire summer for him so we're squared away there. I will be at the YMCA at the crack of dawn on Monday morning when registration opens to get him signed up. Spots go FAST for YMCA summer camps, so you have to be on top of things if you want your child to go. He also starts swim lessons on Monday, and I am signing him up for a soccer clinic in April. I think he'll really enjoy it and it will be good for him to learn something new. He's expressed interest in soccer for over a year now but we never had the time to be able to sign him up for it, but now we do... so soccer it is!

Don't worry, my life doesn't revolve ENTIRELY around work. I have also been planning something I am super excited about....our 5th anniversary vacation! We take a vacation every year on our anniversary which is August 8th and we always go somewhere different. We also have a tradition of taking a photo of ourselves each anniversary so that we can look back and see the progression of age... in other words, watch me start to look older and Ethan age like fine wine.... haha. My husband is going to make one good looking older man. Hopefully I have my mother's genes and I won't look too bad myself! ;)

So, where are we going this year?

Riviera Maya, Mexico!


Yes, that is an actual photo of the resort we're staying at that our travel agency sent to us from their stay there. We decided to go with a travel agency this time around because we wanted to ensure that the place we were going was as amazing as it looked on the website, and that the food was actually good. We had a fun vacation together last year for our 4th anniversary in Jamaica but the Sandals resorts are not all they're cracked up to be. We always have fun when we're together and can make the best of it - but we REALLY wanted an amazing vacation this time around. We work really hard during the year so we like to have one week where we are waited on hand and foot and don't have to think about anything. I will definitely use a travel agent from now on... I didn't even have to worry about booking airfare or transfers - they handled it all for us, and they were able to secure us a great discount and free upgrades. I can live with that! We purchased trip insurance as well in the event that a hurricane threatens Mexico around the time we're going... if we cancel for any reason whatsoever before our flight takes off, we'll get all of our money back less the airfare. I love having a trip to look forward to.... no matter how bad my day or week gets I can close my eyes and envision myself on a sunny white beach with a frozen daiquiri in hand... Ethan is excited because our resort is right on the the second largest barrier reef in the world, and he loves to snorkel. We will go and see the Mayan ruins and hopefully go on a deep sea fishing excursion as well while we're there. I'm hoping to swim with dolphins too! I am most excited about the fact that the resort prides itself on its gourmet food....those of you who know me well know how much I appreciate a good meal. I'll stop talking about Mexico for now... but be prepared to hear more about it in the coming months!

Time for me to get a hot bath and get into bed.... I have a lot going on the rest of the week until next Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment