Saturday, July 31, 2010

No, you may NOT try to kill my husband, thank you very much.

This afternoon, Ethan came home from work and informed me that at 5 AM this morning he had to apprehend a suspect who was walking down the street with a wine bottle in his hand. The perp took off running, and Ethan was lightly jogging behind him ordering him to stop while thinking it was absolutely ridiculous that the guy was full out running. He was hoping he could just jog behind him until the perp wore himself out but then the guy decided he was going to fight. He wheeled around and tried to grab Ethan's weapon, which is EXTREMELY rare, and has never actually happened to Ethan before. The angle that the weapon is holstered makes it pretty impossible to grab, but it's frightening to think that this guy even wanted to take the weapon to begin with. There's no question about what he would have done with it. Ethan was able to keep him far away enough (my husband is nearly 6'5", so his long arms came in quite handily this morning) but then the guy whacked him in the side of the head with the bottle he was holding. I'm just so glad that Ethan withstood that blow, and that the wine bottle came out of the guy's hand and shattered on the ground. Ethan sprayed the perp in the face with the OC (pepper spray) since he was able to free a hand. He had been concerned about the wine bottle and both of his hands had been busy holding the perp away from his weapon up to the point the wine bottle shattered. Needless to say, it ended well and fortunately other than a few scabs on his knee and a tender temple from the bottle being whacked into his head, Ethan is just fine. It makes me so angry to think about the fact that this guy wanted to knock my husband out and shoot him and then leave him for dead. Of course, in typical Ethan fashion, he just shrugged it off as "no big deal" and said he felt sorry for the suspect because he cut himself on bits of glass from the shattered wine bottle when Ethan forced him to the ground to put cuffs on him. My reaction? "Good, he deserved to bleed for what he tried to do to you." Ethan's response, "He only hates what I stand for, he doesn't hate me." Only my husband would have sympathy and forgiveness for someone who just tried to find a means to kill him. Really. I need to pray for this guy and his injuries, not get mad at him...I'm working on it. This is why Ethan is the police officer and I am not.

This is not the first, and will not be the last, of the many incidents that occur in world of policing that we live in. I don't live my life in fear at all, but I'm still struggling a little bit with the aspect of the perp trying to get his firearm this morning.The thought of my husband being taken from me by violence makes me feel sick inside. This is where I just have to let go and accept that I'm not in control of my life, but God is, and He will help me get through whatever comes my way. I don't have to love what comes my way....I just have to trust. Easier said than done, as we all know for some reason or another.

One more week until Mexico.....

No comments:

Post a Comment